Monday 8 March 2010

Downed Pilot

I'm currently putting together a revised proposal for North West Vision. I've been looking this story from the independent. Its a first hand account of Beachcomber seeing a downed Airman in the waters around Texel.

I ask about a picture of a young airman displayed prominently on his wall. Ellen is silent, his mood suddenly reflective. "It was December 1943," he says finally. "I was on the beach when I saw a man drifting down from the clouds. He called to me - 'Help, help' - but he missed the dyke and went into the sea." Ellen pauses again then spreads his hands in a gesture of helplessness. "I can swim but the water was too cold and he was too far out. I watched him die in front of me."

After the war, Ellen saw a letter from America in the local paper from the airman's brother asking for any information about how he died. "I contacted him, and we are friends now too," says Ellen.

Through contacting the people at www.b24.net They think it might be Sgt Donald Pippitt of our 579th Sqdn. Pippit was a tail gunner that some how got separated from his plane and fell to his death.


Sometimes the Internet blows my tiny little mind. I'm not 100 percent sure but the dates match. Ill post more about this as it unravels.